Sunday, July 25, 2010

"XDao"-XDao


The term indie rock fills my body with hatred and disgust. If I have to hear one more 60's pop revival band I will hunt down Kevin Barnes and take out all my anger on him. Or maybe kill the members of Dr. Dog. But once upon a time indie rock wasn't so bland and boring and XDao remembers that time. I was wary upon reading the album review on the back of the CD case: "Great indie rock hooks!"-Radio & Retail. XDao is like a darker cousin of the Kooks, but it works. This music is tall, dark, and handsome, and is going to buy you a drink and you'll probably go back to his place and he'll be gone before you wake up the next morning. If this is not what you want, don't worry, there's plenty of "great indie rock hooks" to keep a more serious listener interested. XDao is not anything special, but is certainly refreshing in an indie rock scene that recently has seemed scared of being scary. Saucy's Picks: "Grace Period Over" is a good opener, "Birthday Lost" is a little too emo for me, but "Silenced by Rhyme" is catchy as hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment